jueves, 30 de abril de 2015

How do we travel nowadays?

Hello dear readers!

I hope you are all doing well. This time I bring you a topic that may seem familiar to many of you, which is the “how” we travel nowadays. I´m talking about the different means of transport people use to move within the cities of the U.S, as well as between cities or even to travel between states.
From my own experience, I can tell you that the way people travel is very different from state to state. I was lucky enough to visit many cities and I was surprised to see how different this was. For example people from Texas pretty much only uses the car to move. It was surprising to find out that, except for the biggest cities, no city had public buses, unlike in Chile, where the many people depend on the bus. Even in a big city like Dallas, it was hard to find a bus. They would all use cars. People start driving since they are in high school, and most teenagers have their own car, so after thinking about it for a while, I figured that that´s why they don’t really need a bus system. The bad side is that if you don’t have a car (like me when I lived there) you will have no option but walking or asking a friend for a ride.

On the other hand, there are some very big cities in this country, which need another ways to travel besides the car. I´m talking about the cities of New York and Los Angeles. Let’s start with NY. In a city with a population of more than 8 million people, there are needed some ways to let them be able to travel within the city in a fast and safe way. This is why this city counts with a big amount of taxi cabs, which are a very common mean of transport there, and also with a subway station. This last is very important to the city, and without it, this would collapse. Founded in 1904, the New York City Subway transports more than 1,750 million people yearly, a number that is only growing year to year.


Now the city of Los Angeles, with a population of almost 4 million, it doesn´t really need a subway station as much as NYC. In fact, Los Angeles subway was just opened in 1990, which tell us that it´s not as relevant as in other cities. In this city, people combine the use of the car, with the use of public buses and even bicycles. This last called my attention, since it was the first city in the U.S in which I saw people using bicycles as a way of transport. But even though there are more options, people keep preferring cars over all


Well, to sum up we can say that the way people travel nowadays has as a main factor the city they are live in as well as the culture of that place. Bigger cities need to have more ways for people to travel, when in smaller cities and towns you just depend on your car or bicycle. What about you? I´m curious about the main way you use to travel. Comment below where are you from and what is the main mean of transport using in your city or country, and let´s see how many different answers we get!



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario